Friday, October 30, 2009

Fall, Facepaint, and Fun!

This past weekend we, the BRDC HPKids Team, put on an awesome fall party for our kids. We had facepaint, crafts, games, basketball, football, and popcorn! We also had volunteers from the Highland Campus and from our main BRDC service come to help make this a fun fest for the kids. One thing in paticularly, stood out and touched my heart this weekend. Before we went outside for our party, we prayed over breakfast. We usually have a child volunteer to pray. So I picked out a little boy about six years old. This was his prayer: "Father God, please bless this food and bring my daddy back back home." Now, thinking back, I realize the motivation for a small, seemingly insignificant thing like this party came from the Lord. These kids need a fun break...something to bring joy into their lives. I know this little boy will go home and again be faced with the fact that his father is not present, but maybe the party that day was a little extra boost of joy and "the joy of the Lord is our strength." I remember the first time I went to a Fall Fest at HPC. I think I had only been to service one time before that, but something changed in my heart when I saw the love of the church displayed in such an event. I couldn't believe all of it was open to the public and free! I brought my girls and was truly awed. Believe it or not, that Fall Fest was the beginning, the open door, to what Christ started and has continued to do in my life. It's another testimony of why our church does block parties, and outreaches, and women's nights. And in the end God get's all the glory because He really is the motivator behind it all!

No comments: